The Manama Post Office, formerly the Customs Building, one of the oldest public buildings in Bahrain (built in 1937), was rehabilitated. A new concrete extension housing 4,400 mailboxes and sorting facilities was built, but more importantly, the façade and portico made of concrete and steel built in the 1980s – which made the building unrecognisable – was removed. It was also important to return the historical building to its former role as a functioning post office. To that end, the original lateral balconies were restored and made accessible to the public. Historical displays of materials about the history of Bahrain and the original office holder’s library were featured. By making more of the Manama Post Office accessible to the public, the architects highlighted the importance of historical buildings and the role they can plan in public infrastructure.