Galeries Lafayette Haussmann
In 1893,Théophile Bader and Alphonse Kahn opened a 70 square meter store in Paris, on the corner of rue La Fayette and rue de la Chaussée d’Antin, selling novelty gifts. In 1896, the company purchased the entire building at number 1, rue La Fayette followed in 1903 by numbers 38, 40 and 42 on Boulevard Haussmann, as well as number 15, rue de la Chaussée d’Antin.
Théophile Bader appointed the architect Georges Chedanne to head up the first major renovations which were completed in 1907. Ferdinand Chanut, Georges Chedanne’s apprentice, designed the store’s 43-meter high Neo Byzantine dome. This store’s inauguration ceremony took place in October 1912.
In 1932, the store was renovated with an Art Déco style by an architect named Pierre Patou.