Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736), successful general and art connoisseur, had Belvedere garden palace built by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt as his summer residence – at the time it was still outside the gates of the city.
This baroque architectural jewel consists of two palaces (Upper and Lower Belvedere), which today house Austrian art from the Middle Ages to the present day.
The gardens of the Belvedere are a highlight of Baroque landscape architecture. A reflecting pool was created in front of the place, in which the building's façade is reflected. The large terraces with ponds connect the Upper to the Lower Belvedere. The Kammergarten was originally reserved only for the man of the house and his closest associates. The Alpine Garden in the palace park is the oldest in Europe.