The Bluecoat Arts Centre
Restoration of a former boys school and extension with a new wing with galleries and a performance space.
The design includes the extension and restoration of Bluecoat Chambers, the oldest building of Liverpool dating from 1717. It houses a number of art galleries, a theatre, a restaurant, shops and several workshops and practice spaces for artists. The new wing continues the brick architecture of the monument whilst restoring the original court typology of the building. The articulation of the entire ensemble in one single façade material ensures a maximum presence of the arts centre within the regenerated shopping district of Liverpool’s city centre.