Kaira Looro international competition _ Sacred Space
Ground and water are two of the fundamental elements. The ground gives shape to the space of cult, as well as the water production creates the architectural landmark. The aim is to represent a building able to connect the public function as well as the social utility, becoming a primary location for the community.
Ground and water
The concept design is generated by two simple volumes that lie on one another, representing two of the fundamentals elements:
- the ground, represented by the main monolithic volume, built by rammed earth. With a unique layout, it reflects the colours and the soul of Tanaf, using layers of the actual soil.
- the water, represented by the "white tower". It is both landmark and water holder. The grid of wood modular elements supports a peculiar polyethylene meshes which are able to contain the humidity in the air; a tested system useful for places experiencing lack of water. The production of water represent the life therefore it creates a perfect spiritual bond with the sacred space. A water distribution point is located underneath the small outdoor cantilever, creating a strategic point for the community. The sacred interior space is basically divided in 3 areas:
- The main room is designed as unique space with a 4x4 meters skylight in the centre; the pillar represents the heart of the structure. The free floor space layout allows to accommodate different religious functions. The secularity of the space is guaranteed through simples, monolithic geometric shapes in order to be an universal and neutral symbol open to any spiritual-religious meanings.
- The crown of seats surrounding the main space creates an "introspective" gallery where the visitor can find a more private space, sitting along integrated earthen benches, suitable for meditation as well as to find his own spirituality.
- The service area is divided in 3 rooms, one is for the water-gathering system and the other two are at the service of the main space. They can contain private functions or becoming storage for materials, furniture and medicines every time the community needs. The thick earthen walls guarantee a secure and cool space for drugs storage, an indispensable requisite.