In 1946 Giovanni Michelucci was in charge of the reconstruction of St Peter and St Gerolamo Church, destroyed by the retreating German troops two years before.
The initial indecision between locating the church on the plains, in a more accessible place for the faithful, or confirm the original site – on the crest of a hill overlooking the plain towards Pistoia – was resolved for the second option.
The starting project will essentially remain unchanged and will correspond to the building constructed since 1951.
The building is a simple construction on two floors with a Latin cross plan with a single nave and a slightly protruding transept, and it is flanked to the west by the canonical.
Despite the traditional planimetric setting, the volumes intersect creating an innovative architectural composition. The large entrance porch, extending on the sides, establishes a harmonious relation between the church and the surrounding environment.
The building dialogues with the rural landscape thanks to the choice of materials such as limestone and wood.
The rustic appearance reflects the Michelucci’s intention of conceiving the Church as "the home of everyone".