The new building as well the building of the Masters’ Houses, which became necessary with the move from Weimar to Dessau, was financed by the city of Dessau. The new school building, built according to the plans of Gropius, forms an all-around three-dimensionally organized complex with interlocking and differently characterized building components. The functions are clearly visible without requiring recourse to main and side façade. The teaching and administration wing, apartment and studio building as well as the workshop wing lie on both sides of an access street over which a connecting bridge is built. The assembly hall and canteen, which also serve public events, lie between the workshop and studio buildings. The technical display of the design is indicative of the shift in direction on the part of the work of the Bauhaus away from handicraft and towards industrial design. However, the completely glazed façade of the workshop wing exhibits reminiscences of the expressionistic revival movement and is not developed in accordance with purely function criteria.
The Bauhaus, both as building and institution, was primary target of attacks by National Socialists and was closed in 1932. In 1945 the building was completely gutted by fire. In 1976.78 it was carefully restored and today it is once again the seat of School of Architecture.