Renovation of the Felsberg School complex
The preservation listed 1948 ensemble by the Lucerne architect Emil Jauch is a characteristic district school located to the northeast of Lucerne’s city centre on a terrace-like plateau.
The school complex consists of a total of twelve classrooms, a music hall and a sports hall. The ensemble was constructed in a pavilion system that was widespread in Swiss school designs in the 1950s. One important quality of the facility is the harmonious integration of the buildings into the local topography. The architectural concept and child-friendly design are largely orientated towards a Scandinavian-type modernism.
The exterior appearance of the buildings remains preserved after the renovation, while the building envelopes were optimised with respect to energy consumption. Inside, the conversion and renovation measures combine preservation aims with the spatial and technical requirements of contemporary school operations. A reorganised ground floor allowed the library, staffroom and workshop to be allocated to one of the three building wings respectively. On the upper storeys, the existing partition of classrooms within the façade grid received a new structure. The music and sports halls were renovated in harmony with the existing structures.