Student residence, Tourist Accommodation and Shops
The European Union Square is the active center and heart of the western sector of Massy, France. The space is very urban, dense, and lively; life revolves around a large public space.
The project exploits its particular situation and creates a link between the two different landscapes: the city and the railway tracks.
The project consists of two buildings, so two programs, accessed through a common garden: a hotel and a student residence sit atop a continuous base of shops. The arrangement of the buildings is thought to open the garden on the square and create a visual breakthrough suggesting the railway landscape in the distance. On the side facing the city, the building façade is very solid and continuous. On the railway side, it leaves room for unobstructed views of the emptiness of the railways and shows a more contemporary face of the city.
The facades facing the street are made solely and simply of glass. Out of public limit, with colored metal siding, they " undulate" and create various perspectives with tones that produce a vibration and enhance the garden. They create a warm environment and they enliven the square as well as the side that faces the railway tracks.
- Program: 83-room student residence, 121-room tourist accommodation and shops
- Adress: ZAC Vilmorin Place de l'Union Européenne, 91300 Massy (France)
- Surface: 7,350 m²
- Cost: 11,500,000 € (pre-tax)
- Client: Dream
- Developer: Semmassy
- Architect: Atelier du Pont
- Project managers François Giannesini
- Team: ID Bati (fluids), Accord acoustique (acoustician), Parica (Construction Economist)
- Spécificity: BBC Effinergie, H&E profil A