The existing plot, with a house and a small building, both made without a very criterious quality, had a bad external connection in between, not only in its functional connection such as in the external areas it drawn.
The idea of constructing a small building with a pool, allowed us to think in this space as an element that would allow the improvement of the special connection between buildings.
The small building for the pool was located in a spacial continuity logic with the existing one creating a big patio to connects and relates all the constructions.
Externally, the area with the stone floor that evolves the main house and goes to the side of the small existing building is the only appropriation gesture of the external spaces that, in all the other areas, are simply without any assumed occupation, creating a sense of aridity mainly caused by the unused land that doesn’t fill any specific function.
In this perspective, the new building is proposed to fill the described purposes:
- create a more controlled external surrounding, upgrading it status, drawing more accurately a patio for connection between all the buildings;
- introducing a formal approach that values the work without creating ruptures but at the same time without compromising negatively with the pre-existing constructions;
- built with the correct scale and proportion, integrating the new programe into the new building;
- create an entry and an interior connection between the existing building and the new one;
- built a pool with heated water and with surrounding space to stay, rest and relax, allowing also the physical connection with the external area.
The new pool’s pavilion was also made with a very low budget, fact that has strongly conditioned its image and constructive details, done to be built with very low-profile techniques and relatively common solutions.
It’s also the result of a strong adequation of the architectonic language, valuing the restraint and synthesis and keeps a certain simplicity character, in the right balance.
Designed in 2015
Buit in 2015
Area – 102,00m2
Design - Nelson Resende, arquitecto
Structural project – José Almeida, engenheiro civil
Geneal contractor – DoisC
Sculptures – Paulo Neves
Photos – Ivo Tavares Studio