The sugar factory was built in 1828 and operated for the majority of 19th century as a sugar refinery. Later it served as a barracks and a homeless shelter, and two important poets of the Slovene modern literary movement died here. The building is also a listed heritage structure, and is practically the only remaining large-scale industrial structure from the 19th century industrialisation period in Ljubljana.